WILLCOX, Ariz. (AP) – A bear in Arizona escaped an electric trip unscathed when it got stuck on a pole.
Sulfur Springs Valley Electric Cooperative, a utility company based in Willcox, southern Arizona, was told Monday morning that a bear had become entangled in the wires of utility poles on the outskirts of town.
Werner Neubauer, a lineman at the company, said they immediately turned off the power so the animal was not electrocuted. Neubauer then climbed into a bucket elevator and used an 8-foot (2-meter) fiberglass stick to try and push the bear down. He even tried to talk to her.
“I think I told him I was going to help him get off the pole,” Neubauer said. “I know he couldn’t understand me. But it caught his eye.
After occasionally grabbing and biting the stick, the bear finally got down and fled into the wilderness.
According to Neubauer, there were no injuries and the power outage, which affected residential customers, only lasted about 15 minutes.
When explained to him the reason for the outage, he said several customers were understanding.
This is the second time in a month that a bear has been seen in a town in southern Arizona.