Windows offers many options when it comes to preloaded fonts. Whether you are working with a simple text editor like Notepad or using something like Illustrator, the choice is yours. However, sometimes there are times when the default fonts are not enough and we need something more. For such times, Windows allows users to easily install fonts on the system. So if you want to install fonts that you downloaded on Windows 11 (or Windows 10) or are looking for a new font in general, you’ve come to the right place. Read on to learn how to do it.
Install fonts on Windows 11
In this article, we will cover all the ways you can install fonts on Windows 10 and Windows 11. In addition, we will also discuss how you can download new fonts for use on your Windows PC. As always, you can use the table of contents to navigate this article.
How to install fonts on Windows 11 and Windows 10
There are several ways to install fonts on Windows 11 and Windows 10. We will detail three different methods for this. If one doesn’t work for you, move on to the next one.
Method 1: use the source file
The easiest and most direct way is to use the source font file. You must have noticed that the file we downloaded will have arrived in a compressed ZIP folder. So, before we start installing the font, we will need to extract it. Follow the steps below to extract and install the different fonts on Windows 11 and Windows 10.
1. Right click on the zipped font file and choose ‘Extract all‘. If you use Winrar like me, choose ‘Extract files‘.
2. Choose the destination where you want your font folder to be. For the sake of simplicity, I use my desk. hurry Extract Where Okay depending on whether you are using the Windows extractor or Winrar.
3. Your desktop will now have a folder with the font name as the title. Double click on it to open it.
Depending on the font you downloaded, you will now see one or more files. Going through the names, you can see that they are different styles of the same font. If you only want one style, you can install it on your Windows 11 PC.
4. Right click the font file and choose either To install Where Install for all users. This will be installed for all user accounts on your PC.
The font installation will start and complete in just a few seconds and you are done. You can choose to repeat the above steps to install all the different fonts on Windows 11.
Method 2: Install from Control Panel
If the first method isn’t right for you, Control Panel is another way to install fonts on Windows 11. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Open the Windows start menu and type Control Panel in the search bar. Click on the result as it appears.
2. The control panel will offer you a list of items to choose from. Find and click Fonts from the list. However, if you have chosen the category option, you can go there by clicking on Appearance and Personalization> Fonts.
3. A complete directory of preloaded fonts on Windows 11 will now appear. This is where we will add our new font.
4. Open the folder of the previously downloaded font and choose the font you want to install. Then simply drag and drop it from that folder to the font grid you see above.
Your chosen font will automatically install in seconds and you’re done.
Method 3: Use the Font Settings app
Certainly the laziest method for the Windows users among you, the Font Settings app is a modified version of drag and drop that we used above. Users looking to install fonts on Windows 11 can also take advantage of this one. Follow the steps below to do this:
1. Open the Windows start menu and type Character font in the search bar. Click on the result as it appears.
2. The following window will open showing the different fonts installed on Windows 11. You will also see a rectangular box titled ‘Drag and drop to install‘that’s what we’re going to use.
3. Open the folder of already downloaded fonts and choose the font you want to install. Then just drag it from that folder to the rectangular drag and drop area you see.
It will take a few seconds to install the font and you’re good to go! You can find the font in any text editor of your choice. Just search for it and start using it.
How to download fonts
It’s no surprise that most online fonts are paid and require you to fork over some cash to use them. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t good free fonts. If you are unsure of where or how to find fonts to download for your Windows, follow the steps below to do so. We will be using Google Fonts for this, as the website has a lot of free fonts.
1. With your browser open, visit Google Fonts.
You will be greeted by a whole directory of different free fonts. As you can see, the fonts are available in different styles and languages. You can even search for a specific font using the search bar above. I myself have a soft spot for Roboto and since it’s not on my system, that’s what I will choose.
2. Click once on the font you have chosen to open its page. You will be taken to another page which shows you the styles of the font. You can enter your own phrase to see what it will look like.
3. Once you are convinced that this is your policy, click on the button. Download family button at the top right. This will download all styles of that font.
4. Choose the backup path, and then press to safeguard. Your policy is now downloaded.
You can choose to repeat the above steps and download as many fonts as you want.
Install and use new fonts on Windows 11 and Windows 10
Feel free to use any of the above methods to install your favorite fonts on Windows 11. While these methods have been detailed for Windows 11, they also work with Windows 10. That said, if you’re still using Windows 10 , you can easily upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 to get the latest Windows 11 features, security enhancements, and more.
So, you have doubts about installing new fonts on your Windows 11 computer? Let us know in the comments.