If you want a free alternative to Adobe Illustratoryou can definitely check Inkscape on your Windows 11/10 computer. This article explains all the features, options, and image edits you can do with Inkscape. You can edit an existing photo or create a new image from scratch!
Inkscape Features and Options
Inkscape has countless options and features that you cannot list in one place. You have to start using it to explore everything. However, here is a list of all the highlighted features that you might find interesting.
- Layer: This is probably the most important feature you will use for professional editing. You can add various effects using the layer feature.
- Lock/Unlock Layer: If you don’t want a layer to be changed or deleted accidentally, you can lock the layer. It will stay there until you unlock it manually.
- Shape: You can include almost any shape as needed. From stars to polygons, you can add anything using this option.
- 3D: Few tools have this option. However, Inkscape allows users to add 3D shapes in moments.
- Spiral: Sometimes certain images require you to add spirals to demonstrate something.
- Draw curves: If you need to draw a straight line or curves, you can do that using this option.
- Freehand drawing: Illustrator and Photoshop can be used as digital painting applications. If so, you can also do the same with the help of Inkscape.
- calligraphic brush
- Object handling: If you need to replace an object in your image, these options are there for you. You can use options to move, scale, rotate, etc. to do it.
- Paths: In Illustrator, you can edit every stitch, path, etc. However, if you search for the same option, you will get it in Inkscape. It comes with several options to modify the paths of a shape to make it look even better.
- Color picker: If you need to choose a color from your image and use it more, you can do so using this option. The best thing is that you can find CSS value of any color.
- Save as template: Sometimes you may need to apply the same dimension, effects, shapes, etc., to multiple images. If so, you can save a template to do so.
- Inert selection: Although this is a basic option, it sometimes comes in handy.
- Layer mask: If you need to apply various effects on a layer, the best is to use a layer mask. Be it Photoshop or Illustrator, both have the same functionality just like Inkscape.
- Transform: You can easily transform, rotate, resize and zoom in/out a specific image or object using this option.
- SVG Font Editor: In addition to a standard font management tool, you can find the SVG font editor.
- Filters: It includes almost all the effects and options that Photoshop and Illustrator have for you. For example, you can find blur, distortion, morphology, dispersion, texture, shadows, etc.
- Extensions: This is one of Inkscape’s best features. If the predefined options are not enough for you, you can enrich it by installing extensions from the official repository.
As said before, there are other options. However, you have to start using it to know them all.
How to Use Inkscape on Windows 11/10
To use Inkscape on Windows 11/10, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website and download the app.
- Check it Extensions and Extension Manager during installation.
- Choose a canvas, a theme, then click on the Save button.
- Click it New Document button.
- Open the image if you want to edit it.
- Click it Layer > Add Layerto add a layer.
- Press * to add a shape.
- Click on the Filters possibility to add a filter.
To learn more about these steps, keep reading.
To get started, you first need to download and install the app on your computer. During installation, it is recommended to check the Extensions and Extension Manager.
After installing and opening, you can find a window like this:
As I said, you can either open an image to edit it or create something from the first level. If you want to edit an image, you have to press CTRL+O and select the picture.
Then you can use all the features and options mentioned above. If you want to add a layer, you can go to Layer and select the Add a layer option.
Then you can press the star button to start adding shapes. On the other hand, if you need to apply various effects, you can head to the Filters
Inkscape is a good free alternative to Adobe Illustrator As said before, it is possible to install and use extensions. To do this, go to Extensions and choose the Manage extensions
Then you can select and install the extensions as you wish.
You can also batch convert SVG to PNG file format with Inkscape.
Hope this app helped. If you want, you can download Inkscape from inkscape.org.Related
: Free photo editing software for Windows PC
Is Inkscape a good alternative to Illustrator?
Yes, you can use Inkscape as an alternative to Adobe Illustrator on Windows 11/10. It doesn’t matter if you want to use it for vector design or photo editing; it is possible to do both with the help of Inkscape. Detailed guide and feature list are mentioned above. Lily:
Edit Photos in Batch Using These Freeware for Windows
Which is better Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator?
If you need a free version of Adobe Illustrator that does almost everything, you can definitely go for Inkscape. If you need the whole package and are willing to spend the money, there’s nothing better than Adobe Illustrator. However, it depends on various aspects of editing, work, skills, etc.
Inkscape is a good free alternative to Adobe Illustrator